It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Monday, December 1


A rebuttal from the Bleacher Preacher

I received a rebuttal from Jerry Pritikin, the Bleacher Preacher, over the holiday. I think it speaks for itself. I replied to him below. I guess I don't really have any real beef with him. I guess it was a good lesson for me, in that the WWW really can and is seen by everyone. Anyone with a modicum of computer literacy and a little spare time can be heard. I soft-soaped him, but I try to pick and choose my fights, and this isn't one I am picking.


-----Original Message-----
From: jerome pritikin [mailto:jerrypritikin@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 9:20 AM
To: rletterly@ussco.com
Subject: In my defense ..


I tried adding a comment but had problems...so if you can add this...

IN MY DEFENSE...

I never described myself as famous, however`Jayson Stark,Jay
Mariotti,The Chicago Historical Society are among those who used that
term in describing me. I'm proud that
Harry Carry and Kup tabbed me the # 1 Cubs fan in the 80's and 90's.But
the fact remains most of my claims and quotes have been well
documented in books,documentaries,
wire service stories and magazines and local and national print and
broadcast media. I was there in '45 except for the World Series, and
for the next 5 years helped clean the grandstands and got passes to
many,many games that way. I went to my first opener in '47 and was
there the first time Jackie Robinson played the same year. I was invited
to sit with Joe Wilson in the WBKB-TV booth in '48 and watched the Cubs
play on 3 TV stations ( WBKB-4 WENR-7 and WGN-9) in 1949. I've been on
the Cubs band wagon ever since. But I protested along the way, a one
man army back then,too!

I even protested when the Tribune Company eliminated the BEER VENDORS
in the cheap seats (when they were still cheap)! And I don't even
drink...but I felt Bleacher Bums should be treated like 2nd class
citizens. What I do not understand is how some people dislike me, even
without ever taking the time to discuss what it is that they
do not like about me. I realize not everyone might agree to my
opinions , but there must be some reasons why the media flocks to me,
year after year...

Those same people might be surprised if they took the time to talk to
me, they would find the guy under the pith helmet is a real Cubs fan
and for nearly 60 years!

Jerry Pritikin jerrypritikin@earthlink.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jerry,

First of all, thank you for reading.

I have met you before, it was many years ago, in 1987. I can't really say you were nice to me, or not nice to me...you were kind of busy, actually. It was soon after both Sandberg and Dunston both went down with injuries, and the team was starting to slide. You were pretty miserable that day...understandable.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence that you have received so much media attention over the years. But I seem to remember that you do and did actively draw attention to yourself. Whatever.

Many of the people I associate with have the strange habit of equating the worth of a man by his eagerness to sign an autograph. That may be where a lot of the angst comes from on the other sites. Maybe you didn't sign for one of them...horrors!

I for one will pledge not to bash you anymore on my site. I just feel that I, myself, rate up there with the best Cub fans alive.

My apologies, and please try to hang in there until they win a pennant for us.

Sincerely,

the Uncouth Sloth

|

Home