It started out as a Cub blog with cuss words. I'm still cussin'; it's the Cub part I'm a little squishy on these days.

The Sloth is not intended for younger or sensitive readers!
N
POISON


Illini Basketball
Bruce, we gave you tha keys, and THIS is what you brought home?


¿Dónde está mi dinero, las rameras?


Site Meter

Wednesday, December 17


Damien Miller, Michael Barrett, and Impact Catchers

What do the three of these have in common? They all squat behind the plate.

I think Barrett would be a nice backup catcher. I personally regard him as a slight, very slight DOWNGRADE from Miller.

What is weird to me is why Mr. Moneyball would get Barrett for nothing (to trade to the Cubs?) then send him here supposedly for Miller (if the Trib can be believed)? What would Mr. Saberweenie want with a .240 hitting catcher who strikes out all the time, has no speed, and doesn't have any OBP? Especially at his salary? Are runners thrown out trying to steal really that important in the computer version of Major League Baseball? Is Damian Miller really the Key to the Great Cubs Pitching Staff?

For, if so, maybe we should keep him, pop-ups be damned.

I don't believe that is the case. I think Wood, Prior, Clement and Hawkins are going to strike out 1.5 batters per inning regardless of who is back there.

Maybe you don't think so, and if not, then maybe you don't want Pudge. Definitely you don't want Javy Lopez. Neither one is known for handling pitching staffs, and Lopez particularly is infamous in that regard. I do not want Lopez, no way, no how. I do NOT regard him as anywhere close to equal to Pudge, especially defensively. His offensive production last year was what the sabrweens call a "blip", either due to Da Ju-Ice, or just a big time salary push.

In fact, if I had my choice between Barrett and Lopez, I would lean toward Barrett. At least I like him.

Some local sources believe that Oakland really wants Miller, and that they will take his $3.5M off our hands. Then Barrett will be non-tendered on the 20th, which will free up money to sign Pudge, or more likely Lopez. Bako would continue to be the backup, which is OK, I guess, if you still hold out hope that Greg Maddux will choose to play out his career with us. Then, at least, he'll have Bako to be his "designated backstop", in his lifelong effort to avoid Javier Lopez like the plague.

Like I said, the whole thing is weird. I don't see the point to any of this so far, and I hope it clears up soon.

In the meantime, I feel a little better. I take back all the mean things I said about Howard Dean and George Bush. I guess if I have been able to survive eight years under a draft-dodging sex addict, and three years under a dyslexic party boy, I can manage to survive in a country run by a contrarian beret-wearing granola-chewing pollyanna.

|

Home